We would like to thank our wonderful bands that played at the event. The Curtis Jaywalker's Band (www.facebook.com/thecurtisjaywalkers) entertained us early followed by the Mario Mena Band. We also would like to thank our judges, sponsors, participants, and attendants of the 2nd Annual Gumbo Chili Showdown to benefit the Regan Robinson Young Scholarship Fund.
Official GCS Judges
- April Douglas joined the Fox Ten news team in November of 2007. A Mobile native, she is excited to be back in a city she loves and knows well. After graduating from Murphy High School, April went on to receive a Bachelor of Science Degree from the University of Montevallo. April and her husband, Brent, are the proud parents of two boys.
- Richard Hopper, DVM is a professor at the College of Veterinary Medicine at Mississippi State University, where he serves as Leader of the Food Animal Medicine & Theriogenology Section. He has served as a judge at the Mississippi State's Super Bulldog Weekend Barbecue contest for 15 years, but considers himself an expert in all areas of food evaluation.
- Judge John R. Lockett was born in Chicago and raised in Birmingham, AL. He received his undergraduate degree from Spring Hill College and his Juris Doctor Degree from University of Alabama School of Law. In 1999 he was appointed to his current seat in the 13th Judicial Circuit. Judge Lockett and Jennifer, his wife of twenty-six years, have three children.
- Dr. Ken Brewington -
B.S. degree in Chemistry from Univ. of Fla; M.D. degree from Tulane
Univ.; residency in Ob-Gyn at Keesler AFB, Ms.; Fellowship in
Gynecologic Oncology at Univ. of Tn.; chairman Dept. Ob-Gyn at Keesler
AFB, Ms.; faculty USACOM '82-'83; clinical faculty USACOM '83-'05;
private practice in Mobile from 1983 until 2005; Chief Medical Officer
'05- and Administrator '08- at Mobile Infirmary Medical Center. Married
and 2 children (one a graduate of USACOM).
- Ms. Beth Anderson - After receiving a bachelor of science degree in nursing from the Medical College of Virginia, Anderson earned a master’s degree in nursing from the University of Texas Medical Branch. She began her career in nursing, working in various positions at the University of Texas Medical Branch, Medical College of Virginia and Washington Hospital Center. She was promoted to director of nursing at the University of Texas Medical Branch and later joined USA Knollwood Park Hospital as assistant administrator. Within four years, Anderson was named administrator of USA Medical Center.
- Dr. Jorge Alonso & his wife - Orthopaedic Surgeon at USA
- Reggie Copeland - City Council President. Learn more about him by CLICKING HERE
- Jeff St. Clair - CEO & President of Springhill Medical Center - Mr. St. Clair served as Hospital Administrator and COO at Springhill for 15 years prior to his recent promotion. He also served as Springhill’s Vice President of Operations for eight years prior to that. Mr. St. Clair has a bachelor’s degree from the University of Alabama in Health Care Management and completed his master’s work in Health Administration at Kennedy-Western University.
- David Powell - Vice President of Operations & HR at Providence Hospital
- David has been a part of the Providence Health Ministry for eight
years. He received his Bachelor of Science degree from the United
States Military Academy at West Point, NY and completed his Master of
Business Administration Degree at the University of Southern Mississippi
in Hattiesburg, MS. After serving in the military, he has been in
healthcare for fifteen years and was in the manufacturing sector for
three years. A native of Mississippi, David and his wife Michelle now
call Mobile home.
OTHER JUDGES TBA SOON!
Chief Auditor Steven Bryan, MBA, CPA, Budget Analyst, Financial Affairs, University of South Alabama
David Douglas, Accountant II, Grants and Contracts, University of South Alabama
Alisha Banks : Accountant III, Business Office, Financial Affairs, University of South Alabama
Lindsey Sheffield : Accountant III, Grants & Contracts, Financial Affairs, University of South Alabama
Chris Taylor : Accountant II, Business Office, Financial Affairs, University of South Alabama