- Teams consist of 3 to 6 members from the student community, the medical community, the University of South Alabama community, or our business sponsors.
- Each team will cook 10 gallons of either chili or gumbo, fresh, that Saturday on a propane burner. Cooking starts by 8AM and the event opens to the public at 12 Noon! (Sorry, no premixed or pre-cooked gumbo or chili is allowed. Electricity cannot be supplied and no generators or large batteries are allowed due to safety concerns.)
- Teams will compete for the distinction of Best Overall Gumbo or Chili, best within a specific category (see awards page for categories), and the Peopleís Choice.
- Gumbo or chili will be scored by a panel of local judges not affiliated with our teams. The Peopleís Choice will be awarded to the team with the most donations and raffle ticket sales on the day of the event between 12PM and 2:15PM.
- Registration fee includes Food Handlerís Permit for one team member and 10 free tickets to the event.
- All proceeds benefit the Regan Robinson Young Scholarship Fund.
- Team Fees:
Student Organization = $75
Returning Team = $125
New Team = $150
Local Business/Corporate = $500 (sponsorship included)
($25 per additional team member to max of 6)
Check out these pictures from our 2009 Inaugural Gumbo-Chili Showdown!